Let me tell you guys the story of how I got into spinning. 5 years ago, I went to a small fiber festival in a nearby town with my parents. (Unfortunately, that was the only time I went to this fiber festival. They stopped having it afterwards. So sad.) I saw some different stuff, including wheel spinning, embroidery, and spindle spinning. Since my birthday was coming up, my parents bought me a spindle. I got to choose a small ball of practice fiber to go with the spindle. I picked some gray fiber. A little bit later, whilst looking at another booth, I remembered that I forgot to ask what kind of sheep it came from, so my dad went back to ask them, and they said it was Jacob wool. My first attempts to spin this fiber were terrible. I kind of missed the part about drafting, so I ended up with a hugely thick yarn about 16 yards long. I later learned how to spin better. Then I decided to try to unspin the failed Jacob wool and re-spin it properly. I pulled the loosely spun crazy-thick fibers apart into shorter pieces, which I was able so spin into a laceweight-ish yarn. I was happy, but I didn’t really know what to do with it, because it’s kind of scratchy. So it waited in my stash for a while. Then, a few weeks ago, I decided to turn the very thin single into a three ply yarn. I ended up with about 50 yards.


I didn’t really know what to make with it, but I eventually decided on a small stuffed animal.


I chose the pattern Mousie from Whimsical Little Knits, and I used some leftover Wool of the Andes sport weight for the ears tail and feet.


I had originally intended to name it Jacob after the wool, but since it has so much pink, it looks like a girl mouse, so I named her Jacobette.


I still have about half of the handspun left. I don’t know if I want to make another mouse or something else.



Baby Sweaters

Don’t you just love knitting for babies? Everything is just so cute and tiny, and it knits up pretty fast too.


A few weeks ago, I got a hankering to make a Baby Surprise Jacket. I used some ugly green Sugar ‘n Cream that I had no other plans for, since I was mostly just experimenting with the pattern.


The pattern was confusing, and it was difficult to alter for a different gauge, but the end result was pretty cute.


The bottom tow buttons won’t button, but I sewed them on anyway for decoration.


So after I made this one and knew what I was doing, I made a better baby sweater using leftovers from my Hobbit Robe.


This time, since I knew what I was doing, it ended up much better.


I used about half a skein of I Love This Cotton in Burnt Sienna (reddish  color) and scraps of Antique Gold, Brown, Taupe, Auberguine, and Forest for the stripes.


The green buttons match the Forest color almost perfectly.


The last sweater that I have pictures of isn’t a BSJ, and I actually finished it back in January.


It’s just a simple bottom up raglan. I love the little red buttons.


It might be a little bit out of proportion (too wide and too short), but a baby won’t care.