I finished my scarf!
Pattern: Peaks Island Hood
Needles: size 10
Modifications: The buttons I used were smaller, so I just did yo, k2 tog for the buttonhole. I also used 4 buttons instead of three, and spaced them 10 rows apart.
These pictures aren’t the best in the world, because they’re kinda in shadow, but you can see it well enough.
Last Wednesday I decided to go through the clothes in my closet, and get rid of what didn’t fit or was never worn. While I was doing that, I decided to arrange all my skirts by color, and I decided that I needed to make a red skirt.
At the beginning of May I went to a Colonial Fair with my parents, and one of the tents had fabric, so I looked around in there, even though I knew that it would probably be too expensive for me. But then I saw a remnants basket which had 3/4 yard red wool fabric that was only $6.75 and was just begging to be made into a skirt by me. So I bought it.
At first, I thought about putting a zipper in the skirt, but then I decided against it for a couple of reasons. First off, the only red zipper that I have doesn’t really match. Second, I don’t really know how to sew zippers into garments. Third, I didn’t really want to ruin the fabric if the zipper sewing turned out horrible.
So what I did was measure how big I wanted it to be around the bottom, how big I wanted it to be around the top, and how long I wanted it to be. Then I added in the seam allowances and snipity snip. Then I hemmed it, sewed the two pieces together, sewed together some elastic, and sewed the elastic inside the casing (I think I used that word correctly).
(Yes, I totally lay on plywood, wearing a wool skirt in the middle of summer. And I’m pretty sure I didn’t use lay correctly.)
It’s a little bit scratchy, but if I wear tights and a slip it shouldn’t bother me too much. And If I wear it with wool socks and a sweater, then I won’t freeze this winter.